Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Maybe it's just me, but....

When one is looking up the definition of a word, shouldn't the words within said definition be simple and easy to understand, so as to make it easier for the layman to grasp a better understanding of the initial word's meaning??

Take "grovel" for instance:

grov·el/ˈgrävəl/

Verb
1. Lie or move abjectly on the ground with one's face downward.
2. Act in an obsequious manner in order to obtain someone's forgiveness or favor.

"Abjectly" isn't your every day average word, and neither is "obsequious" for sure! Now I have to look up these words, as well.

Which brings me to:

ob·se·qui·ous/əbˈsēkwēəs/
Adjective:
Obedient or attentive to an excessive or servile degree.

followed by:

ser·vile/ˈsərvəl/

Adjective
1. Having or showing an excessive willingness to serve or please others.
2. Of or characteristic of a slave or slaves.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . You see my point here, right??

All I wanted to do was check my spelling to be sure that *even though it looked funny, "grovel" was in fact spelled correctly* - and now I've forgotten my original intent and have become sidetracked with a vocabulary lesson.

and a blog post.

Perhaps this is the definition of ADHD.

No comments:

Post a Comment