Saturday, April 3, 2010

Stay Outta My Pocket!!

You know that little "pocket" in your car door? For me, that is my little pocket of trash. My kids always seem to have wrappers or scraps of something that they so graciously hand off to me while I'm driving, and this is where it goes.

This pocket is also where I slipped up this week: I made the mistake of emptying some of the no longer needed reminders of what I'd bought out of my wallet. Now, normally, I clean out my lil' pocket before Husband#2 comes back into town (he travels for work and is gone Monday - Friday every week). It's just that little something extra I do, because I know a clean car is one of his pet peeves.

Blame it on exhaustion after a long day of work, the fact that he's been getting on my "list" more and more lately, or just plain ole mom brain... I didn't get around to cleaning out my pocket this week. Then, add to this: I went into the drug store to pick out some goodies to hide in the Easter eggs and left my husband alone in the car with the kids - and you've got yourself a disaster waiting to happen.

Husband#2 proceeded to go through my pocket!! And not in a "here, let me help out my sweetie and throw this trash away for her" kind of way (like he'd like me to believe)... oh, no. More of his side job as a master detective (let me interject here that my husband is an IT consultant and in no way qualified or even naturally born as a sleuth).

"Oh, come on, Camille... You're just being paranoid," you say??

When I got back in the car I was greeted with, "Who did you buy a Panera gift card for??" (Tone is important here, but obviously I can't do it justice)

OMG. That receipt was wadded up and in my lil' trash pocket, along with snot rags and everything else. Seriously?? He waded through snot rags to pry in my trash pocket?? First off: that's just gross. And, secondly, I didn't know I had to request permission to buy someone a gift!!

For the record: the gift card was for the grandfather of one of my kids' friends, who just happens to pay for our dinner just about every week when we join them for Mariachi Monday.

I asked him later, if he had really just been throwing out the trash to help me out, then why did he need to open up and read the details of my receipts.... He said, "Well, I had to look at it - I didn't want to throw away something important." Oh, Come on!! The waded up TRASH didn't give it away that, that is what was in there?? It's no secret; I've told him I use that as a trash pocket before.

You know, it's funny... I've always heard that suspicion is usually a sign of someone else's guilt. Maybe I should be checking HIS pockets...

1 comment:

  1. I just read an old magazine article on how to question him without seeming like you're questioning him. I'm gonna see if I can find a link. Maybe you need to toss some interrogating his way. lol

    ReplyDelete