Monday, May 2, 2011

Religion & Politics : Can't Talk About That

I'm sure I'm considered Anti-American for not wanting to celebrate the death of another soul; however, it's the {generalizing here} typical American mindset that I'm against. I don't think being an American makes me superior to anyone, any more than I think being a particular color or faith does.

Yes, I'm grateful for the freedom that has been afforded me and the intention of those that lost their lives in the pursuit of that freedom. Do I condone the methods in which it was brought about, though? No.

[You] want to preach at me:  Explain to me how hatred and violence are going to end hatred and violence...?

I'm all ears and eyes.

{crickets}

"Hate begets hate; violence begets violence; toughness begets a greater toughness. We must meet the forces of hate with the power of love...Our aim must never be to defeat or humiliate..., but to win his friendship and understanding." — Martin Luther King, Jr.

I know MLKJ wasn't speaking about terrorism - at least not in the same sense - but I believe these words are applicable.

What do people presume will happen now? America has shown its power and terrorists everywhere will bow down at "our" feet? Sounds unlikely to me.

I also find it ironic that the same people who were posting "He is risen" as their status update on Easter morning are the same ones posting "YAY! he is dead" today. This way of thinking only reaffirms my aversion of and belief that religion is becoming (and/or probably has been) more and more of a "Do as I Say; Not as I Do" doctrine.

I really hope that spiritual/religious leaders will remind their congregations of their convictions this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment