Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Proud Momma

My son just melts my heart... I tell ya, I look into those big brown eyes, and I know I've already lost!


He had his Awards Day yesterday, and (of course) I teared up... I'm just so proud of the little man he's becoming!!


I was glad they were giving each child a certificate of completion for Kindergarten {no one would feel left out} - but then my boy got an additional award for Art. Love it! How fitting is that in this family?!. 


Today is my daughter's big day (Awards). Her teacher has already told me she recommends she be in the gifted program, so I'm sort of expecting she will get an award of some sort. It would break my heart is she didn't get anything... but it would also tug on the ole heartstrings if she receives more awards than her brother. Is it wrong of me to wish for her to get the same number of awards?? 

I fear this will always be a struggle for me... I want so badly for everything to be "fair" and even with them - which, no, I'm not naive enough to think life will actually work out that way. I realize it's beyond my control.

I know they both have their own strengths. It just kills me when they say things like, "I'm not smart like Gabi" - which my son told me the other day. {tug} I reminded him that he's only in Kindergarten and he's still learning - plus, Little Miss Know It All has two years of school on him.

That didn't seem to help his self-esteem much... but I don't really know what will. I hope receiving an Art Award will push him to develop his creativity (yes, I know, he's only 6).

Let me interject: I don't want to be one of "those" moms either... living through my child. Creativity and The Arts have just always been a big part of our family.

At any rate, I'm a proud momma, and I have some amazing angels in my life!

Update: The Goob got two awards, as well. {whew}

No comments:

Post a Comment