Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Part 2: So There's This Guy...

My Voice has been on full alert lately. I wish I could contribute this to some profound spiritual awakening (and maybe on some level it is), but the reality of it had me frozen in my bed the other night, as if I had seen a ghost.

And I use that comparison, because when I was a teenager, I swear with every fiber of my being that I saw a ghost.

[I know I'm getting off subject, but follow me on my sidetrack. I promise it's relevant.]

In the house we grew up in, our bedrooms were downstairs with the kitchen, 1 & 1/2 baths, and a small entry hall. Our parents' room, bathroom, and den were up.

The den was shaped like a rectangle, the tv opposite the couch on the two longer walls, with a fireplace on the left wall and three large sliding glass doors opening to a large balcony on the right. Either side of the tv was lined with built in shelves, home to books, movies, and other randomness. My stepdad's computer setup came to rest in front of the shelves on the right - your back to the glass wall, if you were sitting there.

For some reason I had fallen asleep on the couch... In the middle of the night I just awoke. I don't know if there was a sound or something, but I just woke up in the darkness, and when I looked over in the direction of my stepdad's computer, I saw one of his friends (one I never particularly liked) leaned over the desk/computer.

Being the redhead that I am, I defensively muttered, "What are you doing?"
And that's when he looked up at me, and I realized it wasn't my stepdad's friend.

I completely froze, paralized, unable to speak or even think. I was now wide awake, trying to register what I was looking at: A glowing form of a man. Standing there. Staring back at me. I can only compare it to running a neon glow filter on a picture in photoshop. It's just eerie and creepy...


Tell me he wouldn't creep you out in the dark...??

All of that is what came rushing over me the other night - and not because I saw another ghost. But because there's this guy... [Why do all the stories start off this way??] A neighbor of mine.

When the kiddos & I moved into our new house (not new new, but new for us), I wanted to be friendly so I said "hi" to my neighbors, introduced myself, etc. You know, just being neighborly.

But this one guy just gives me the creeps. That feeling I ended with here.

He's older than I, and I think I met his girlfriend when I met him. And then I met his daughter (who is probably my age or a bit younger) another time. I don't think either of the women live there. Just him.

One day when I was running late taking the kids to school, he stopped me and starting asking what I do for work, etc. I was in a rush, so I tried to answer quickly (but politely) and brushed him off.

Then I got a friend request on Facebook (I know. I know. Why does nothing go on without Facebook these days). I didn't recognize the name, but he was kind enough to include a message with his request: "Hi, neighbor!"

My initial response [My Voice. My Intuition. God & Jiminy - all] said, "Okay... That's creepy. Did he search out every 'Camille' til he found me??" We don't have any mutual friends... and "WHY was he trying to find me on Facebook anyway?" [creepy]

But then something else chimmed in, "Now, Camille. What if he's like you: just kinda new here, doesn't know many people, just trying to make some friends."

So I accepted the friend request.

After all, it was from an actual person I had met in person - not some random cyber person, right?

Then he started sending me private messges. "Hello neighbor... Just thought I'd say hi." Granted, this doesn't sound very threatening... but why send it in a private message?? Why not post it on my wall like all my other friends? There was nothing too personal in that to put out there in the land of Facebook.

I think I responded with a short, "wud up" - to send the message, "Yes, I'm too young for you, and I have nothing to say."

I thought he got the hint, b/c he didn't reply to my childish lingo.

Then, two days later, "How are you? Ready for Christmas?"

This time I just ignored it and him all together.

[Now, I know what you're thinking... Still not freezing in your boots scary stuff here. But bare with me.]

So I ignored the second private message that was just too personal to post on my wall...

Then one day (I think on a Sunday or maybe on Christmas day or something) I went outside to start my car to let it warm up. I sat there waiting for it to warm up, but it wasn't two seconds after my car cranked that *Creepy* (as he will now be known) opened his door and walked outside - in pajamas, mind you - to go "check the mail". Did I mention that it was a day the mail hadn't run??

Another day after I had just returned home, Creepy walked his "trash" (which consisted of maybe a piece of paper) to the dump - which you have to walk past the length of my house to get to. Who takes a piece of scrap paper to the dump?

[The chilling part's coming. I promise. You are reading this for a purpose.]

I started to just avoid him in general: ignore his random comments on my status updates, not look in the direction of his abode, etc.

Then one night, as soon as I turned the upstairs light on to retire to my bed [Let me throw in: The light & window is directly in Creepy's line of vision from his apartment, behind my house], I got yet another private message. "Hi. How are you? How was your Christmas?"

Yes, this is what made me freeze in my bed two nights ago.
The timing between me turning on the light and his sending the message just couldn't be a coincidence. Now I really felt as if I was being watched. He knew I was home, and the fact that I was alone made me wonder if he knew that, too.

Last night I decided to test my theory out, to be sure I wasn't just being paranoid.

I got home late, prepared to watch my latest redbox: locked the door, put the dvd in, went upstairs (turned on the "signal" light), went to the restroom, sat down on the couch, and checked my phone.

Yep.

There it was.

Another message from Creepy in 308C.

Only this time, he sent seven messages in a row.

"hi"

"how are you"

That's it! As they started flowing in, I was on the phone with my brother, telling him to get to my house stat - and bring a weapon!

When he got there, the messages continued til 12AM:

"how are you"

"?"

"having a good night?"

"?"

"maybe we should talk sometime"

Feeling - and knowing - you're being watched is such an unnerving experience. I can finally relate to the stupid blondes in the horror movies - only I'm not running around half naked to ease the terror. I'm also not sure if I have an ending to my story yet...

Bro spent the night to protect me, and Creepy's truck was gone before I left for work this morn. I'm hoping the over-night "manly looking" truck gave him a less subtle hint to back the f*ck off.

I also promptly deleted Creepy as a "friend" on Facebook - and have shared my story with not only you people... but several people in real life, who know where Creepy lives and have seen his picture.

I'm hoping there isn't going to be a Part 3 to this.
I don't want to be scared to go home.

2 comments:

  1. Lawd Have Mercy! Momma gave you mace too? I know she got me and Jake some when she bought some for herself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heck yeah I got my mace! It sleeps with me...

    ReplyDelete