Wednesday, July 7, 2010

fəˈtɒgrəfə

An acquaintance posted on her facebook status recently, "Who isn't a photographer.... geez.... I mean really.... It means nothing any more." Of course the poster is a photographer, and I admit she has a great eye. I think she has boo-coos of talent. She's also taught me a lot of what I know in Photoshop. But it's this type of mentality that drives me crazy...

So what is it that bothers "professional" photographers so much? Why do they even care if Joe Blow wants to pick up a camera and put his spin on the craft and call himself a photographer? I mean, if they think the amateurs are lacking in talent, then what threat do they really pose? Be glad they suck; it's an up for you if they do!

I'm sure some will say that these "amateurs" are ruining what it means to be a photographer - or something like that. But I just don't get it. I'm an artist - in a vast sense of the word - but who am I to declare that someone else isn't an artist because they don't paint the same style as I? - or because their work isn't as "good" as mine?

Is Picasso less of an artist for the weird style that typically comes to mind when we think of the man? I'm sure the people of his time thought so, but look at his work now...

The irony to me is, this girl's sister is an artist (she paints abstracts). But don't you know she'd defend her sister's gift if anyone called her anything but! Do you think she'd agree her sister is less of an artist because she just does abstracts??

I talked about this with my brother and bro-in-law, and I'm the first to admit I'm probably taking this comment too personally. I mean, look at me: I've already called myself an artist, and I consider myself a photographer, as well. Sure, I don't make my living at it; I don't have the most expensive camera; I don't even have lights and all that fancy equipment. But what I do have is an artist's eye, and I think I produce quality work (and if I don't take a truly amazing picture, I bet I can Photoshop the crap out of it and make it cool! haha). ;)

What I'm saying is:

What makes a photographer (or artist, or graphic designer, or any profession/hobby, for that matter)?? Does it state somewhere in the manual that a gazillion of dollars be spent on equipment to qualify? Because all I see in the dictionary is:

photographer [fəˈtɒgrəfə]
n
(Business / Professions) a person who takes photographs, either as a hobby or a profession

1 comment:

  1. *disclaimer: I have several photographer friends; please know I'm not belittling anyone's profession. I just believe this mentality has to stop - in every scope - It just so happens photography was the method in which it was conveyed.

    ReplyDelete